A Museum Devoted To Contemporary Art, Architecture & Design
The Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art (SMoCA) is an educational institution dedicated to presenting exhibitions of contemporary and modern art, architecture and design. Global in its focus, SMoCA is a gathering place to experience contemporary art and culture. Our aim is to connect visitors to the dynamic art and ideas of our time and explore the possibilities of innovation, creativity and expression.
1. Ocean of Light: Submergence – A Squidsoup Project : May 6 – September 24, 2017
Squidsoup, Submergence, 2016. Interactive LED lightinstallation, 17 × 23 × 33 feet. Photo: Paul Blakemore
2. [dis]functional: Products of Conceptual Design : May 13 – September 24, 2017
Ron Jones, Faded Giant, 1991. Mixed media, 59 × 72 x 58 inches. Collection of the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Gift of Ellen and Stephen Susman, in honor of Karen Susman, 2003.016.a-l.
3. I’m Sorry But It’s Hard to Imagine : May 20 – September 10, 2017
Dominique Blain, Untitled, 1993. Cigar, bullet and lipstick on wood, 18 1⁄2 × 16 9⁄16 × 2 1⁄2 inches. Collection of the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Gift of Dorothy Rissman
4. James Marshall: Radiate : Currently On View
James Marshall (a.k.a. Dalek), Radiate, 2014—ongoing. Latex paint on wall. SMoCA Lounge. Commissioned by the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Photo: © Sean Deckert / Calnicean Projects
5. Murals by James Marshall (a.k.a. Dalek) : Currently On View
Community Mural with James Marshall (a.k.a. Dalek), 2014. Latex paint on wood panels, 21′ x 16′. Scottsdale Civic Center Bell Tower. Co-commissioned and produced by Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art and Scottsdale Public Art. Photo: Chris Loomis
6. The SMoCA Young@Art Gallery: Visions ’17 : May 2 – Sep 17, 2017
Visions student Maya Orchinik creates a drawing using wood-burning and watercolor techniques in a workshop led by artist Alexandra Bowers.